Friday, January 20, 2012

Diablo Grande Sage Honey

(as I posted earlier this week on Facebook) 

I had the pleasure of meeting Mr Orin Johnson this afternoon on my way home as he was tending the hives in the canyon that the Diablo Grande Parkway runs through. 

We've been discussing nutrition and various components, including allergies and the benefits of local honey. I promised my friends that I would try to track down the honey produced in the hives that spend the winter months along the road on the drive home. No sooner said than done... on the way home, I spotted someone working with the bees -- so I stopped! 


I learned that Johnson Apiaries are the beekeepers of the bees (and hives, obviously) that spend their off-season (when they are not pollinating Almonds) here and have for over 60 years! 

Mr Johnson is a very nice man, and does mostly pollination and bulk honey - but has some customers who buy smaller (household) jars. He even happened to have a jar of the (mixed) Sage honey that he collected here last year and I happened to have some cash! Lucky me. ((by the way - it's DELICIOUS!!))

This is a photograph of Orin Johnson and his bees in an Almond Orchard that I found on a photographer's site: http://www.annehamersky.com


This is the story of Johnson Apiaries http://www.agalert.com/story/?id=779 , written by Christine Souza in 2007. 

No comments: