Sunday, August 15, 2010

Other Family News



We've had some good fun since our last update (our trip to the state fair) but I'm finding that even if I do remember to take the camera with me, I don't always have an extra hand, eye, and/or moment to capture the best moments to share with you here...)

We had a great and busy day last Monday when we joined the local Mom's Club for a "circus parade" we got dressed up -- Liv in a princess dress as the "Queen of the Flying Trapeze" and Camila was the "Tatooed Lady" (I drew on her with eyeliner... haha, poor defenseless baby!!) and met up with a bunch of other mommies and their youngish kids at a park in town, all the little kids marched down the block to one of the mommy's backyard for more playing, and snacks and etc. We had such fun and met lots of new friends!

Liv learned that "fancy dresses aren't very good for climbing in." this comment after I responded to a frantic "momma, momma" from the swingset where she had stepped on her ruffles, trying to climb up the ladder. Another important life lesson!

Later that day, our neighbor, Mrs Michelle, came to the pool with us! and we all had a great time! Liv is doing better and better in the water. (and almost always remembers to tell us before she jumps in. Yikes! ... that's an important rule, kiddo!) Camila Luna just loved it, too!!! Splash! Splash! Splash! (Boy, was it good to have an extra set of grown-up hands!!)

Jeff had his company picnic last weekend. And we left feeling that it was a wonderful success. We had a great time! Angelina and Diane thought of everything! Entertainment for the kiddos of all ages - Ball games for the grownups, Slip & Slide, magician and balloon artists, good food - great people, nice weather, lots of shade!! A really good party!

Livvie is peddling her trike!! I was just beside myself, proud and excited! Thrilled, really, what a great milestone skill! 


Jeff was like, "yeah? she was doing that for me last weekend."
Figures!


Speaking of good life lessons, we were over at Skip & Jody's last night for a fun dinner party; Jody laughed and nodded approvingly as Liv (who had asked first) reached for the olive dish and I reminded her to "look first, pick one out with your eyes, and THEN reach in and touch only that one." 

She's such a good kid!!!

And she's starting to play much more elaborate imagination games, I prompt some... and she'll just take off with it as often as not. A new one (taken from the "Dora the Explorer" show) involves looking at the "map" as part of the game "how will the bears (that's us) get to the berry bush?" or "how do we get to Cranberry Lake?" first we go to the pumpkin patch, then over the bridge, the on a wagon ride or whatever... its awesome! sometimes we get sidetracked and end up baking imaginary pumpkin pies, and then taking our space ship "don't forget your seatbelt, Mommy" (as she buckles my 5-pt harness) to go get ice cream. 

Such crazy fun! I am such a lucky mom!

I think I'm going to start incorporating that "map" as a play plan -- "Let's draw a map of what we're going to play today." --Not that we have to stick to it or anything, but its a cool idea, I think. and a very "Tools of the Mind" approach (which I've been trying to learn about.)

We are SO excited about our trip to Cranberry! We've been talking about it for weeks, Liv informed her grandparents this morning that "canoes are very tippy boats." You don't know the half of it, kiddo!  :) And she's been fishing under our bed from her laundry basket boat, and pool-side with her big orange noodle.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your girls are so adorable! Thanks for sharing your experience!

I rediscovered the link after coming across one of our old email threads. This totally made my day.

Jenny (and Dan)