Wednesday, June 9, 2021

Flying fish musings

These little kamikazes are one of the few species we have had an opportunity to observe on this trip. 


They are these skinny blue & silver jobbies with wing-like side fins. Sometimes we see them onesie twosies, but often we see them in schools (or is it flocks?).

They burst out of the surface as we sail by and skip and glide and even flap and turn and maneuver across the surface, and then smash right back down into the water. 


The sea birds will sometimes ride with us or circle the boat hoping for a chance to snatch one. Torsten has gotten a chance to watch a few dives & misses and even a catch! 


The weirdest bit though is finding them and/or their scales on the deck. I mean, what is up with that? It's nearly everyday... sometimes several times a day. 


I even found fish scales on the floor of my bathroom!! We must have had the hatch open when some carnage occurred. Un-cool. 


One aft ernoon, Jeff and I were sitting in the sail shade on the deck. And I asked Jeff... "Is that...? O.M.G Is that, an Eye-Ball?!" -- Add that to the list of things I never thought I'd say.

~e.

No comments: