Thursday, June 3, 2021

Passage Day 3

Observations

Last night the waning Cresent moon rose at about 0100, looking for all the world like a big yellow Cheshire Cat Grin.

Before that the milky way had my attention for being the most engaging spectacle. We find ourselves in one of those really remote dark places, and the air was pretty clear & dry (for the surface of a warm ocean) and we could see DEPTH! and color!
... I mean you had to use your imagination a little... but it was phenomenal!

(Side note, the guys are laughing at me and insist that I share with everyone that I had to take ibuprofen this morning because my neck aches from stargazing) LOL

I think its super cool to watch the Big Dipper rotate in the sky (rise and set E>W) in front of us during the night and watch the Southern Cross (and its buddy stars) rotate in the sky behind us. One of the very cool things about heading consistently north.

Setting stars is a funny thing to try to watch with so much distortion at the horizon. I think that must be why the Polynesian Wayfinders found that a hands-width was the way to go.

We've caught glimpses of bioluminessencse in our wake. Usually earlier on the night, and not so much later. For some reason, that I don't know, and can't look up right now. LOL

Today is windier, steady 18-22 knots, white caps, and some pretty sizable wind-waves have built up. We are moving around a lot, as we slide across the surface of big blue. The water is super sparkly and such a pretty blue.

It's pretty noisy on the boat: wind and waves, creaking lines, waves slapping the hulls. We have to raise our voices and speak very directly, to be heard clearly.

Our number goal for today is "5x5" :
500 miles on the trip log by 5pm

Love and light
Fair winds
~e.

No comments: